January is the best month of the year because it signifies a fresh start, a clean slate — an opportunity to to hit the reset button and have a do-over.
It’s a good time to give yourself permission to daydream and imagine the what if?
January is full of hope and optimism as you set new, exciting goals of what could be.
But, I don’t want to see you slip back into old patterns and find by the end of the month you’re stuck in the same rut, struggling with the same challenges you faced last year.
If you want to get unstuck and make 2017 a breakthrough year, here’s four things you should do to prepare.
1. Define what would make 2017 an epic year for you.
- What do you want to achieve this year?
- Why does it matter?
- What would achieving that goal allow you to do that you can’t do now?
- What would achieving that goal allow you to have that you don’t have now?
2. Redefine the meaning of success for you.
As you daydream about what an epic year would look like avoid falling into the comparison trap. We are all at different stages in our business and in different seasons of life.
Author Tim Hiller, says in his book, Strive: Life is Short, Pursue What Matters: “Don’t compare your beginning to someone else’s middle, or your middle to someone else’s end.”Don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle or end. @timhiller3 Tim Hiller, Strive: Life is Short, Pursue What Matters Click To Tweet
- Is your of success for your business in alignment with your family goals? Your life goals? Your spiritual goals? Your health and fitness goals?
Bigger isn’t always better. Maybe you want to scale your business this year or maybe it’s time to simplify.
More money doesn’t mean more happy.
Rick Warren, the author of best selling book, The Purpose Driven Life often shares that the secret to happiness is in serving.
I believe serving first is also the foundation of running a purpose driven business.
The only way you can achieve your goals is by helping your customers achieve theirs.
3. Get clear about the impact you want to make.
- So, who do you serve and what is the difference you want to make in their lives?
When you don’t have a clear impact statement, going through the motions of running your business week after week can quickly feel like a daily grind.If you want 2017 to be an epic year, you’ve got to want to make an epic impact. Click To Tweet
Impact is not measured by what you do, but the difference you’re making.
It doesn’t matter what service you provide, whether it’s auditing, bookkeeping, landscaping, dog walking, consulting, staffing, therapy, etc.
Everyday businesses can be used as a vehicle for making a meaningful difference in people’s lives.
What is the impact, (legacy, difference) you want to make through your business?
To help you write yours, here’s an example of my impact statement. This is why I do what I do:
By helping entrepreneurs grow your business the impact I want to make is:
- To give you greater time and financial freedom, so you don’t have to miss out on precious time with your kids.
- To help you get your message out, so you can help more people with your gifts.
4. Simplify and shorten your goals.
The surest path to defeat is overwhelm. Set yourself up for success by giving yourself less to focus on.
- SIMPLIFY: What are 3 success habits (activities) you can commit to doing every day for the next 21 days?
- SHORTEN: What is one outcome result can you pursue as your 30-Day Push Goal?
Finally, don’t just keep your goals to yourself. Share your goals with others. Post your 30-Day Push Goal in the comment box below.
Then print out this blog and write down your answers to the rest of the questions above.
I invite you to decide to make 2017 your epic year!
Success & Blessings ~